We are actively monitoring the situation and have reviewed the list of essential services.
Camp Engies BC will run as an overnight camp!
1. Where and What is Camp Engies?
BC - We use the facilities at Camp Jubilee!
Camp Engies is a Not-For-Profit run by women in engineering. We are 100% Volunteer Powered!
2. How old are the campers?
The activities are geared towards girls in grades 5 through 8. You can attend as a Engie-in-Training if you are Grade 9 and attended in previous years!
3. What is the staff to camper ratio?
There is one volunteer counsellors in every cabin of 8-10 campers (recommended ratio in Ontario/BC is 1 counsellor to a maximum of 10 campers for this age group). There are additional volunteers and Camp staff who help facilitate activities. All volunteers have undergone a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check.
4. My daughter is on the waiting list, when will we know if she can attend?
An email will be sent to everyone on the waiting list 2 weeks before camp confirming their enrollment.
5. My daughter’s best friend is coming to camp too! Can they be placed in the same cabin? Not Applicable for 2020.
Yes! Each camper may select up to two friends whom they wish to be grouped with. We try to discourage placing more than three friends together as it can limit diversity and creativity.
6. When is the boat ride?
Approximately 7 am on Saturday September 25th. We will escort the girls on a private water taxi to the island!
7. Do I send my daughter on an empty stomach?
Breakfast will be served upon arrival at camp. However, please ensure your daughter has eaten something before leaving home.
8. What should we pack?
A packing list is sent to all parents in Fall.
9. What are the cabins like?
The cabins are traditional bunkhouses compromising of bunk beds, shelving and washrooms. The cabins do not have HVAC, and thus, it can still be cold at night. Please pack warm pajamas and socks for your daughters.
10. What happens if it rains?
Camp Engies activities run as planned rain or shine. If there are severe storms, outdoor activities will be adapted for indoors/covered areas. We recommend checking the weather forecast a few days before camp to pack accordingly.
11. What if I need to contact staff or my daughter during camp?
An emergency contact number is provided in the registration package.
12. What happens if my daughter becomes ill while at camp?
Volunteers are trained in First Aid and will provide basic care for illnesses and injuries (e.g. bee stings, scraped knees). If the illness is more severe, we will contact you to discuss options for care. No news is good news!
13. My daughter needs medication, should we bring it to camp?
Please ensure your daughter brings all medication she regularly takes. Campers are permitted to keep certain medications (e.g. asthma inhalers, EPI-Pens) with them at all times. Other medications (e.g. antibiotics) should be given to staff when loading the bus for safekeeping. There is a refrigerator available at camp for medications.
14. Can the kitchen accommodate special diets (e.g. peanut allergy, lactose intolerance, celiac, vegetarian etc.)
Please inform us before to accommodate dietary restrictions.
15. Will there be time for homework?
We know your daughter is a future leader in STEM, give her a weekend off!
16. Will there be time to go swimming?
No, it is too cold to swim! There will be a chance to canoe. All campers wishing to participate in water activities must wear a life jacket.
17. Will the activities and speakers repeat each year?
We will change most of the activities and all of the speakers each year!
18. Why can't you extend Camp Engies to a week or run it on multiple weekends?
We feel that this short time frame allows girls to acquire taste for overnight camps and engineering. We do not want them homesick! It is highly subsidized and thus we want to keep Camp Engies small and exclusive.
19. Something came up and my daughter cannot attend Camp Engies!
You can use the fee towards 2022. No refunds this year as it is highly subsidized and we may not be able to fill your daughter's spot last minute.
20. I have other questions!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org! We look forward to BC!